Home > Ask Our Experts > How Do We Check a Credit Report is not Duplicated?

How Do We Check a Credit Report is not Duplicated?

By: Jack Claridge - Updated: 1 Aug 2013 | comments*Discuss
Credit Credit History Credit Report


My partner has been chased down by a credit company regarding a man of the same name who also attended the same school. Once the date of birth was established this was resolved but my partners credit history is awful and we are having trouble running a credit report - what should we do next to ensure that there is not a confusion between these two individuals? We are very worried about this situation.

(Miss K F, 11 September 2008)


This is a very common problem which many consumers just like you face daily. The problem is made worse because the information on file with credit reference agencies is not always complete and is updated on a monthly basis so if there is a mistake on their files this is then replicated on your credit file and passed on infinitely.

One of the ways in which you can resolve this is to request a copy of your partner’s credit report –if you have not already done so - from one of the two main credit reference agencies in the United Kingdom: Experian and Equifax.

The information these companies hold on file regarding your partner’s credit history is exactly what any potential lender will see when your partner applies for credit with them in the form of a loan or Hire Purchase

Once you have this information – which under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1988 you are legally obliged to be able to view – you can accurately pinpoint where the problem lies.

Having established what the problems are on your partner’s credit report you can request that the problems be fixed by the credit agencies. When you request information be corrected on your credit file the credit reference agency will then contact the company or individual who originally supplied the information and ask them for a full explanation. This is marked on your credit file as being disputed so that it can be taken into consideration by any potential lender while the problem is being investigated.

You can also issue what is known as a ‘Notice of Correction’ which is a request by you that all credit files are checked for duplications. These duplications, if any are found, must be explained fully by the company or individual who has requested the search be carried out. If the credit reference agencies are satisfied the searches were done in error then they must make note of your ‘Notice of Correction’ and attach it to the duplicated entries. It is worth noting that these entries cannot be removed unless the company that originally requested the search agrees that they were wrong to request it in the beginning.

You might also consider issuing a ‘Notice of Correction’ which gives details of the individual your partner has been mistaken for so that these credit reference agencies can act upon the information and make the relevant changes to both individuals’ files.

Also it is worth checking with your local authority the information that is held regarding your partner on the Electoral Roll, and if necessary, change the information to reflect the differences in name, age, address etc.

See here for more information about checking your credit score.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: